Are you a homeowner planning to start an exterior painting project? It’s crucial to understand the coverage provided by your home insurance policy in such cases. This blog breakdown what exactly home insurance covers, and the factors that can determine any additional coverage. It also delves into the benefits of professional painters and will help you understand the implications, costs and how your insurance policy factors into the equation.
Home Insurance Policies and Their Coverage
What is Home Insurance?
Home insurance, also known as homeowners insurance, is a form of property insurance that gives financial protection to homeowners in the event of damage or loss to their property. It usually encompasses coverage for both the home sum and personal belongings inside.
Does Home Insurance Cover Exterior Painting?
When painting your exterior, it’s important to understand when your insurance coverage comes into play, and it all depends on your situation and your policy. Typically, standard home insurance policies don’t cover a routine paint job or cosmetic touch-ups. However, sometimes there are situations where your insurance provider might offer coverage, especially if the painting project is because of unexpected events that have caused accidental damage like a storm surge caused water damage or something similar.
Factors That Determine Coverage
Cause of Damage
The cause of damage is a crucial factor in determining whether or not your home insurance covers exterior painting. If the damage is caused by accidents like natural disasters (causing vandalism, water damage or fire damage), the chances of your insurance policy including coverage for the home repairs, including painting, is higher.
The type of home insurance policy you have plays a significant role in determining coverage for exterior painting. Various insurance providers offer different levels, like perils policies that solely cover specific perils clearly listed in the policy or all-risk policies that cover a broader range of dangers, unless specifically excluded.
When it comes to your insurance policy, the deductible is what you need to pay before it kicks in. With exterior painting, if the cost is less than the deductible amount, it probably won’t cover it. However, if it’s part of a larger repair project on the property that costs more, then you can claim the coverage.
Knowing the consequences of no coverage for exterior painting in your home insurance policy is essential. Without this coverage, you’re responsible for all project expenses, including materials, labour, and any unforeseen complications. This can impact your budget significantly, particularly if the painting is required to address damages resulting from unexpected events.
Moreover, the absence of such coverage can devalue your property if painting is necessary for restoring it to its previous condition. Painting not only enhances your home’s appearance but also safeguards it against future damage.
The Benefits of Going Professional
Ensuring High-Quality Work
Hiring a professional for exterior painting is beneficial when you have homeowners insurance. They possess the skills, experience, and knowledge to provide lasting, top-notch results. They excel in surface preparation, selecting appropriate materials, and applying techniques for a flawless, durable finish.
Avoiding Potential Insurance Issues
Hiring a professional helps to lower insurance risks. They’re experienced in handling insurance companies and insurance providers, are covered with what’s known as ‘painting insurance’, and have liability coverage for property damage and bodily injury
Property Damage: Painting insurance proves useful if accidental damage occurs to your personal property, for example, a broken window or damaged items. It covers the replacement costs or any home repairs.
Bodily Injury: This coverage provides protection for the painter in case of injuries that occur while on the job, such as a slip or trip accident involving a third-party client. Painting insurance also covers medical expenses and other related costs associated with the insured event
How To Find A Reliable Professional Painter
Finding a reliable professional can be difficult, so why not consider the following tips:
- Research and Recommendations: Look to your friends, family or neighbours to see who has had good experiences with painters in your area.
- Credentials and Insurance: Check if your painter is licensed, insured and has a bond; this will cover both you and them in the case of accidental damage.
- Portfolio and References: Look at the painter’s portfolio to see their work. Request client references and listen to their feedback.
- Written Contract: This outlines the project, its timeline, materials needed and cost breakdown to lessen confusion.
- Cost Estimates: Get a cost comparison from multiple painters, but try to think about reputation, their experience and expertise, and also their materials over the cost.
Preparing Your Home
For a successful exterior painting project, follow these tips for home preparation:
- Clean Your Surfaces: Take off any dirt, grime or loose or peeling paint to be painted, to achieve a professional-level finish.
- Repair Damaged Areas: Look for any damage, like cracks, holes, or rot and do any home repairs before painting to create a solid foundation for the new paint.
- Picking Paint: Get high-quality paint made for your region’s climate. Get recommendations from professional painters to get the right type, finish and colour that would look best.
- Cover Your Personal Belongings: Cover plants, shrubs, and outdoor furniture to protect them from paint splatters or accidental damage during the project.
- Communicate: Keep the lines of communication open with your painter throughout the project. This way, if you have any concerns, they can address them quickly and ensure your satisfaction with the final result.
Call in Elite Painting
When it comes to painting the exterior of your property, knowing how does home insurance cover exterior painting in your homeowner’s policy can be a great idea. However, hiring professionals means helping with not only insurance issues but also results in you receiving quality, long-lasting work. If you’re considering repainting your exterior, and you’re in the Perth area, why not call in Elite Painting, the skilled Perth Painters and get Dulux-certified results every time?