The average cost of exterior house painting in Australia is around $12 to $60 per square metre. Whereas the average cost of interior house painting in Australia is roughly $500 to $10,000. Expect the total cost of house exterior painting to be higher than interior house painting, as there can be more risks involved when working outdoors. Below, we talk about the two types of painting jobs so you can get a clearer idea of how much to budget for your house painting project.
As the requirements of each paint job will vary from one to the next, the exact price for how much to paint a house exterior in Australia will depend on a number of factors, ranging from the cost of paint and coatings to the number of billable hours the professional painters need to finish the job. This is the same for interior house painting. For some expert tips on how to estimate the overall cost of a house painting project, keep reading ahead.
How often should I paint my house exterior?
The wall paint on a house exterior will last roughly 5 to 10 years or less, depending on the environment and local weather. Humidity, rainfall, sun damage, and extreme weather conditions all contribute to the deterioration of exterior house paint. Speak to your professional residential painter for advice on what outdoor paint will best suit your exterior walls.
By using the right paint and thorough preparation methods, you can extend the lifespan of your exterior house paint much further. For a more accurate price estimate on the cost of how much to paint a house exterior, you can factor in the number of years you can go between re-paints.
How often should I paint my house interior?
The time you can go between re-painting the interior of your house is different for each room. Knowing how often to paint can help you cut back on renovation and maintenance costs. We have listed some general suggestions for when to repaint most rooms in a house, but you will have to decide when you actually repaint by considering how often you use each room and how much wear and tear your walls have. Finding out the cost of how much to paint a house interior in Australia will also depend on how often you repaint and how many rooms you have to cover.
- Dining and living rooms: These are often the most used spaces in a home. Use durable, high-performing paint and you can go 5 to 7 years between giving the walls a fresh coat.
- Hallways: Everyone walks through the hallway when entering or exiting their home or a room. The constant brushing up against the walls or bumps and knocks can easily cause paint damage. Try to maintain your hallway walls with a new coat of paint every 2 to 3 years.
- Bathrooms, laundry, garage, and kitchens: These are high-moisture, high-traffic areas of the home that can cause significant damage to your walls in the long term. Humidity, steam, cleaning agents, grease, and cooking oil can leave stains and discolour your existing paint, so 3 to 4 years should be the most time you go between a repaint.
- Bedrooms: Changing up the paint or colour of your bedroom walls is more of a cosmetic decision. But if you notice that the existing paint is peeling or fading, it might be time for a repaint.
How to calculate costs for a painting job budget
How much to paint a house exterior in Perth professionally
Asking how much does an exterior painter cost is a common question for anyone looking to do exterior house painting. Registered and qualified painters, like our team at Elite Painting, often only take on projects over a set price. This shows confidence in the team of experienced painters’ handiwork.
As we mentioned earlier, you can expect exterior house painting to cost more than interior house painting as the stakes are higher when working outdoors. Additionally, exterior painting can require more prep work to be done, which adds to the billable hours that painters are on site. We talk more about that in the next section.
The average cost of how much to paint a house exterior in WA takes a few things into account. To properly estimate the overall cost of a house exterior painting project, consider these factors:
- How much paint is needed per square metre
- What type of paints and coatings
- Labor costs and billable hours
- How much prep and priming work the painters will do (e.g. mould removal or sanding)
- The number of surfaces being painted
How much to paint a house interior in Perth
Interior painting usually has more predictable costs as you can count the number of rooms to be painted. However, the size and challenge of the room to be painted will also affect cost. Asking how much does an Interior painter cost is a common question for anyone looking to do interior house painting. Registered and qualified painters, like our team at Elite Painting, often only take on projects over a certain price. This shows confidence in the team of experienced painters’ handiwork. Here are some average costs of how much to paint a house interior in Australia.
- 2 bedroom house walls and ceiling – $1,000
- 2 bedroom unit repaint – $5,000
- 3 bedroom house, all surfaces – $7,000 (e.g. door frames, windows, trims, skirting)
- 5 bedroom house – $9,000
How much to paint a room in Australia
The average cost of how much to paint each room will depend on a number of factors. To get the most accurate estimate of the overall cost, you should make note of these factors before contacting a professional painter. They include:
- The amount of paint needed per square metre
- The type of paint (e.g. humidity-resistant paint for bathrooms)
- How much each tub of paint costs some surfaces will require more coats of paint or special treatments to be properly protected)
- Cost of labour (complex jobs will require more manpower)
- How many surfaces will be difficult to reach and require more equipment and time
- The number of surfaces needing a paint job
When is the best time for house painting?
If you are a first-time home builder or renovator considering house exterior or interior painting, you might be unsure about the cost. One variable that can have a big impact on the finished product and time spent on the job is the time of year that you paint. Ideally, you would want to stay within your budget and complete your project on time, so as not to incur extra costs.
It is important to consider which time of the year you/ the professional painters you hire will be painting early on in the planning stages, so you don’t pay out of pocket for unpredicted costs brought on by bad weather or extreme temperatures. That being said, it is a good idea to start the project when the weather is good.
Did you know that your walls’ temperature can affect how the paint works? This is true for both interior and exterior paints. Extreme weather conditions can cause fresh paint to form cracks and bubbles, dry in uneven patches, show brush streaks, and even have trouble sticking to the wall surface. Unexpected costs would come from having to buy a paint stripper and start all over again, spending more time trying to fix an issue that could have been averted.
Early fall or early summer tend to allow for the best weather conditions where your paint can dry and cure for the best results. During these periods, outdoor temperatures will tend to be predictable, staying well between 10°C and 38°C while having minimal rainfall during both the day and night.
Hire professional interior painters WA
Renovating and thinking of giving your home a fresh lick of paint? Or maybe you are trying to protect your walls before you rent or sell it. And if you are building a new property, you have the chance to really nail that perfect look. You want to get things right the first time and avoid extra costs like buying more paint than you need or ruining the surface you are painting. No matter the project, before you purchase paint or hire a team of professional painters, it’s important to budget for the painting job.
Once you have drawn up a budget for your house painting project, it is time to call in the professionals. By hiring highly skilled and experienced painters like us, you can expect high-quality results and avoid extra costs.
If you require more specific information about the cost of how much to paint a house in Australia, speak to some of the best residential and commercial painters Perth can offer. Contact us for a detailed, free quote today.